Speech vs speach often confuses people. Which spelling is correct?
The correct spelling is speech. Today, we’re taking a closer look at speach vs speech, so you can learn to use the word correctly.
Don’t let spelling errors creep into your writing. You can use our free grammar checker to find any spelling and grammar mistakes.
What’s the Difference Between Speach vs Speech?
A commonly misspelled word is speech. Speach is not a word, but many people spell it like this.
Why is this word so difficult to spell? Speech is the noun form of the verb speak. It’s easy to think that we should spell them both with /ea/.
But English words can be strange. When it comes to speech or speach, always write speech.
Quick Definition and Meaning of Speech
Speech has a few closely related definitions. Human speech is the act of uttering articulate sounds, which are a combination of syllables. These articulate sounds in speech all have unique meaning.
Speech can also refer to a person’s language or dialect. Someone’s speech is a person’s style of speaking.
Synonyms for speech include oral communication, vernacular, and utterance. We typically use the word speech without an article (a or the).
But when we talk about a speech, we mean a long oral message. Someone gives a speech in front of an audience. Synonyms for this definition of speech include address, talk, or lecture. Use an article when talking about a speech that someone gives.
Speech Examples in Sentences
Let’s take a look at some examples of speech used in sentences.
- The woman’s speech had a heavy Southern U.S. accent.
- Speech is the main thing that sets humans apart from other primates.
- King George VI worked with a vocal coach for a bad speech impediment before his 1939 address.
- The doctor referred the child to a speech–language pathologist to help with a language delay.
- It’s normal to learn speech before mastering written language.
- In general, her speech is very direct without much embellishment.
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech is the most iconic address in American history.
- Having to give a public speech is many people’s greatest fear.
- In high school, I competed in many speech competitions.
- We listened to many great speeches at the conference last week.
- The candidate’s campaign speech focused primarily on immigration issues and healthcare.
Speach or Speech: How to Remember the Correct Spelling
Don’t get tripped up by speech vs speach. How do you remember the correct spelling of speech?
There are a few ways to remind yourself how to spell this word correctly. You can remember that it’s spelled differently from “speak.”
You can also try to remember the double E in the word by using the phrase “English Expression.” (Of course, speech doesn’t just refer to the English language, but it’s helpful for remembering the spelling!)
And of course, ProWritingAid always remembers the rules for you.