What verb form should you use after 'consider' and 'imagine'? Infinitive or gerund?
Consider can be followed either by a noun or a gerund (the "-ing" form of a verb used as a noun).
- They will consider the suggestions.
- I considered working.
- She considers going to the dentist.
Imagine can be followed by a noun, gerund, or that-clause.
- I can't imagine a larger dog than a mastiff.
- I can't imagine working harder.
- I can't imagine that she's telling the truth.
In both cases, when a verb directly follows consider or imagine, you should use the gerund form, not the infinitive:
- You should consider writing to him more often.
- It's easy to imagine winning the lottery, which is why I keep playing it.