ProWritingAid Premium and Outlining Your Novel Workbook together at last!
Until February 24th, get the Outlining Your Novel Workbook ($40) and one year of ProWritingAid Premium ($50) for just $65. Learn more now!Read More »
Whether you are a planner or a pants-er, if you haven’t checked out the Outline Your Novel program, you’re missing out. I spent hours with this software and have never felt a more powerful urge to create.Read More »
Acrolinx is an authoring and content optimization tool that combines terminology management, grammar checking and style checking. The key benefits of using an authoring system such as Acrolinx for your company are:Better customer experience of your contentFewer customer support calls Greater customer satisfactionLower costs for copyediting and translationFewer embarrassing errors in your documentationFaster time to market for your contentRead More »
Here at ProWritingAid, we're geekily interested in writing tech, almost obsessively. And in honor of the upcoming NaNoWriMo, we thought we'd do a roundup of the apps we've reviewed over the years. Links to our full reviews are throughout.Read More »
Everyone at ProWritingAid loves tech that helps us write better, faster, easier, etc. It's one reasons we get up every morning. When we stumbled across Beemgee and their amazing writing tool, we asked Kathy Edens to check it out for us.
Let's take a closer look at the Beemgee novel outlining and storytelling tool to see how it can help you develop compelling characters and an engaging plot.Read More »
Despite its marketing power and popularity, Instagram remains a question mark for writers. As people of words, not pictures, they aren't sure it makes sense to use this social media channel for exposure, recognition, and, more than that, business profits.Read More »
At ProWritingAid, we want our writers to be as successful as possible. And so, when we come across a potential opportunity for writers to make money, we check it out.
The folks at Contena got in touch recently and asked us to have a look at their new platform for freelance writers. Their mission is to help you launch your own freelance writing business.Read More »
Use ProWritingAid's Word Explorer to look at any word 14 different ways. Yes, it's true. Here's the list of ways you can check out any given word:
- Reverse Dictionary (this shows you words with your given word in their definition)
- Lists (lists of dated terms, ironic terms, often used terms)
- Alliteration (adjectives, adverbs, nouns, and verbs with the same letter or sound at the beginning or adjacent to your given word)
- Clichés (to help you avoid them)
- Spelling (good to know if you write frequently in American, British, and Australian English)
- Collocations (adjectives, adverbs, nouns, and verbs that come before or after your given word)
- Common Phrases (2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-word phrases using your given word)
- Commonly Possessed By (words that can own your given word)
- Anagrams (in case you need help)
- Examples (From books and quotes using your given word)
An editing tool checks for writing issues that go far beyond mere grammar problems.Read More »
Sometimes as I sit at my desk in a remote corner of the house, writing my soul out on the page, I need the company of other writers. Someone who understands how I can both crave and loathe this quiet aloneness. When it's 2am, and I'm working feverishly to meet a deadline or trying to make sense out of the jumble of ideas in my brain, I need community.Read More »
The founders of Writers Helping Writers have created an innovative platform for writers to boost their creativity and enhance their skill set: One Stop For Writers. The creators call it the "library," and it's complete with an "Information Desk," "Thesaurus," "The Stacks," and more.
Whether this is your first rodeo and you need some entry level writing help, or you're an old hand and just want a fun way to plan your novel, One Stop For Writers has scads of resources, templates, online tools, and lessons to help you write the best novel yet.
We're going to cover just the highlights because it can take you days of roaming around the "library" to see and experience everything.Read More »
You may have noticed that we at ProWritingAid have a fondness for technology that makes writers better, stronger, more organized, and highly productive. If you like creating a storyboard for your novels, or if you want an innovative app to capture all of your to-do’s for your client work, let us introduce Trello.
For those of us who use sticky notes, index cards, and other forms of reminders to help you organize everything you need for a writing project, Trello is the easiest, most intuitive way to organize your work.Read More »
We’re obviously mad for technology at ProWritingAid, and there are so many apps, gadgets, and programs out there to help you finish your novel or write content for clients.
Here, in the sixth post of our Writing App Reviews… series, Kathy Eden checks out minimalist writing platform Write!.Read More »
One of the biggest problems that creative people face is how to take their imagined ideas and communicate them clearly and effectively in writing. I dread to think how many incredible adventures, concepts, and viewpoints are locked up in the brains of people who struggle with the technical elements of writing. The part of the brain that we use for imaginative thinking is quite different from the part that actually crafts the sentences. And the quickest way to lose a reader’s confidence—even if your ideas are water-tight—is to present them with clumsy, awkward, error-filled writing.Read More »
Mind maps have been a useful tool for creative folks to brainstorm for quite a while. Remember the old days when you’d draw a circle in the middle of a piece of paper and draw lines from there to connect your thoughts? It’s much easier today.
Brainstorming is a huge part of preparing for any writing project. Mind maps help you capture your creativity in a right-brained manner, by graphically displaying the connections between ideas. If you’re trying to outline a novel (left-brained) and it’s just getting messy, consider trying a mind map first to let the ideas flow naturally.
With a mind map in front of you, ideas will spark and you’ll see connections where you hadn’t before. It’s also a great tool for generating new ideas, like scenes for your story or character traits for each character.Read More »
Here at ProWritingAid, we’re constantly evolving our manuscript editing software, as we have for the past four years. In fact, we’re so certain that our manuscript editing software is miles above the competition, we’re discussing their pros and cons and linking to their websites below so you can check for yourselves. (Crazy? No, just incredibly confident.)Read More »
Throughout 2016, we reviewed some innovative writing platforms, programs, and other online tools for writers of all shapes and sizes. As 2016 wanes, the techie nerds at ProWritingAid wanted to throw out some must-have tech to dream about in 2017. With an eye to making your life better, easier, and finding more time to write, consider the following tech.Read More »
Search in Blog
- List of Cliches
- 10 Free Writing Apps and Tools
- 10 Websites to Help Improve Your Grammar
- 10 Writing Issues that Your Grammar Checker is Missing
- Inventing Characters: A Character is What He Does, His Motives, and His Past
- Why Writers Must Use the Toilet Paper Test on Professional Content Topics
- Oops! Did You Forget to Launch Your Book? 4 Marketing Steps to Take Right Now
- Belief, Emotional Involvement, Clarity: What Every Character Needs
- The Perfect Grammar Cheat Sheet [infographic]
- How to Improve Your Style with ProWritingAid's Writing Style Report
- For a limited time: get a ProWritingAid and Outlining Your Novel software bundle.
- Writing App Reviews: the Outlining Your Novel Workbook
- The Essential Reading List: Historical Fiction
- "-isms": How to Cover a Controversial Topic with Sensitivity
- How to Write Historical Fiction (without a history degree)
- Where Has Your Day Gone? 7 Time Management Tools for Writers
- How to Improve Your Style with ProWritingAid's Writing Style Report
We love writing. ProWritingAid helps turn your writing into great writing. We publish articles about writing software, writing techniques and other useful information for writers. Subscribe to be notified of new articles.